Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I decided at the last minute yesterday that I wanted enchiladas but I was out of sauce.  So I pulled up a few recipes on the internet to see if I could make my own.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make.  I used Alton Brown's recipe and made a few changes.  It turned out great...I will make my own from here on out!

3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups chicken broth
1 can tomato sauce
2 tomatoes pureed 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
A pinch of red pepper flakes
A pinch of cayenne pepper
A splash of jalapeno hot sauce

Mix all of the ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Turn the temperature down to medium and stir for about five minutes.  Then use in your favorite recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment